Thursday, July 30, 2009

Renegade Cyclists

Last night I got out of work and was walking to my car. I looked left and right and stepped into the crosswalk. A cyclist came whizzing by and passed behind me, fully clad in his uniform of bright yellow spandex and expensive polarized lenses. He yells at me: JESUS CHRIST YOU DIDN'T EVEN LOOK WHERE YOU WERE GOING!!!!

1) Yes I did. I looked left and right and saw no cars (or bikes for that matter). I proceeded. I didn't realize that once IN the crosswalk, I was supposed to remain hyper-vigilant in case of random attacks from assholes on bikes.

2) BIKERS HAVE TO FOLLOW THE VEHICLE CODE. That means cyclists have to yield to pedestrians, and stop at stop signs, and stay off the sidewalk, and look where the hell they're going. And yet this rarely happens. I can't even count the number of times I have almost been run down by some guy on a bike who thinks that just b/c he is sparing the air by choosing a bike over a car that he gets to be above the law and do whatever the hell he wants and act like a first class douche. I HATE that mentality...oh, I'm doing the environment a favor, so everyone get the hell out of my way! That's like saying, "I recycle, so it's okay if I assault a few elderly people." One good act does not give you free license to put other people in danger.

I love how this guy was recklessly zooming down a busy downtown street and yet I am the one who gets yelled at. How come the police are all over you if you're in a parking space for 30 seconds past your meter, and yet they are nowhere to be found when some jackass in spandex is blatantly giving the finger to the rules of the road? In any event, I hope that guy hits a pothole and has a "come to Jesus" moment with his bike frame.

1 comment:

Maxie Max said...

This happened to us crossing Hillegass from our friend's house to the car at night! I was carrying Max and this cyclist zooms out of nowhere and practically swipes us and he passes. I'm talking within centimeters. Then he yells at us for it! All I said was "Woah!" when he did it, completely spontaneously. I couldn't believe it!